Traveling with your pet

My bags are packed and I’m ready to go…….Traveling with your pet seems like a great idea but there are a few things that you need to keep in mind.  Are you traveling by car or plane?  If by car does your pet get car sick?    Are you concerned that it might be too long a trip or perhaps the temperature might be too hot.  You should be concerned.  Good call.  This is the time to leave your pet home in a boarding facility, either at our office, Steinway Court Vet or someplace else that you feel comfortable with, knowing  your  pet will be safe.

Are you thinking that perhaps you can just sedate your pet?   Sedating your pet to travel is not ideal.  It may be appropriate some of the times, however only you and your veterinarian, Dr. Glasser can make that decision after careful thought and discussion based on your individual circumstances. 

Perhaps you are traveling by air within the continental  United States.  Some airlines required a health certificate for your pet to travel.  Every airlines is different.  YOU MUST CHECK.  Unfortunately, we cannot keep up with all the rules and regulations for every airline.  We recommend that you check with the airlines approximately 30 days before travel..  That should  give you enough time to prepare .  If you are planning on traveling over a holiday period, the earlier you begin to gather information the better. 

Traveling internationally?. Thirty days may not be enough.  Certain countries for example require your pets’ rabies titer to be done and sent to a very specific lab.( FAVN -a rabies blood serum test for pet travel to a rabies free country).  Awaiting these results can take up to six weeks.  You must beginning planning at least six months prior, maybe more.  When in doubt of the rules, please check with the consulate to the country that you will be traveling with your pet as well as the airlines that you will be using.  Each one is a bit different .  The last thing you want is for your pet to arrive at the destination,  only to be put into quarantine because something was not done as per your destinations request.  The Steinway Court Vet will help you in any way we can, however it is up to you, the traveler to ascertain what paperwork is necessary.   Our veterinary doctor  is  accredited by the USDA and can complete the required APHIS(APHIS-animal plant and health inspection service)  form.

Please check with the United States State Department as well.

We can not stress enough.  Please check, check and double check!

If traveling for a short period of time perhaps it would be best to leave your pet home with a family member, friend or trusted boarding facility.

Continue reading